Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Best of 2016

Well, there goes another year. 2016 was perhaps the craziest and most toxic 12 months in this decade for various reasons (namely all having to do with the US presidential election). However, there was still some legitimate fun to be had. Although I read less than I normally do, I read some absolutely wonderful books (and even started reading advanced reader copies thanks to a really good friend of mine). Even though pop music was kind of a dud in the mainstream, I still found some great stuff to listen to. And, to top it off, the anime I watched are definitely going to be cherished for some time (primarily regarding one character we'll talk about later). Also, Zootopia was amazing. It's easily one of the best Disney movies I have ever seen, and it included such a positive and inclusive message right when we needed it.

It wasn't even the material stuff that made my year. I made some new friends, was on stage for two plays at my school (one student-directed, one through the school's theatre, and another student-directed one to come in January), and have finally accepted my identity and am going to roll with it (I'M GAY! YAY!).

So why don't we get started and shine some positive light for 2017's sake? Here are the best things to come out of 2016.

Reading

Books, books, books! This year wasn't nearly as productive as last year (61 books total), but there were still some excellent titles that need to be addressed. Also, I now have the connections possible to get free review copies of novels not on the market yet, which I'm incredibly grateful for. They're not going to be on this list unless the actual books released this year, but I've read some exciting titles from next year already that I can't wait to share.

Why don't we get started?

Best Realistic Fiction Novel

I feel like I've grown a greater appreciation for realistic fiction as I've gotten older. Sure, fantasy and science fiction is great for an escape, but contemporary reads can be just as much of an escape, albeit one more grounded in the real world.

Last year's best realistic fiction novel was without a doubt Emmy & Oliver by Robin Benway. Not only was it a sweet romance and perfect for the summer (thank you, California setting), it was both hilarious and emotional at the exact same time. Benway was also capable of not only relying on the relationship between her titular characters to make her story work. It was just as important as friendship, growing up, and learning to fight for independence. 

This year's winner came near the end of winter early in the year, and even despite it being shelved under middle grade, an important lesson was grabbed from reading this: just because it's for younger readers doesn't cut out its importance.

The Truth About Twinkie Pie by Kat Yeh
This debut novel from Yeh completely charmed me from the first chapter and then proceeded to sweep me off my feet for the rest of it. For starters, GiGi's voice was absolutely wonderful. She was cute and feisty in the best way possible, and her Southern hospitality felt realistic since we were in her head throughout the novel. There was also a great ensemble that brightened up the pages. Whether it was GiGi's older sister DiDi, Trip, GiGi's kind classmate who she develops a crush on, Mace, the snotty mean girl who actually turns out to be suffering from her own loneliness much like GiGi, who misses her mother, and even the librarian with her head stuck in a romance novel or the landlord all made me smile in various ways. There was also fantastic development among the cast that had me completely floored at parts.

Even if The Truth About Twinkie Pie follows a path that has been seen time and time again, Yeh completely makes it her own and even adds her own surprising twists. It's even filled with yummy recipes that I would love to try (although the Twinkie Pie is pretty much the bomb when I made it with my mom)! This is why I enjoyed this novel: a book about a girl longing to understand the truth about her mother and her family was given so much love, respect, and had a big heart.

Best Science Fiction Novel

Science fiction has completely fizzled out of the YA mainstream. Although dystopian trilogies were huge at the turn of the decade, high fantasy duologies or series have taken their place. But that doesn't mean futuristic stories have completely disappeared. They still populate the shelves in increments, but they either retread the tired and same tropes or offer something completely different and unique.

The Shatter Me trilogy last year may have fallen into very cliched territory, but I found it incredibly well-written and impossible to put down when I read the last two entries and the novellas. I found myself fascinated by the characters, the romance, and all the powers that popped up. But at the end of the day, I do admit that the series was a little safe and played in a very similar vein to stories that came before it (excluding an unexpected flip of the love triangle).

This title, however, was completely new and refreshing, and even though it was the only real science fiction novel I read this year, I think it still would've won anyway.

Change Places with Me by Lois Metzger
This short and beautiful book held so much depth that I wasn't expecting whatsoever. At first, everything seems fine. Rose is a girl who has changed her name and feels wonderful, something that surprises her stepmother and seems to be a little off. As she goes about making new friends, getting a new job, and smiling all the way while she does it, more layers get peeled off and reveal that Rose truly wasn't this way before. Something changed along the line, and it all has to do with memories.

Much like Adam Silvera's debut novel More Happy Than Not last year, Metzger weaves together an intricate story of memory, grief, and identity that is packed full of emotion. However, we're apart from the story and looking into it, Rose herself not the narrator of this tale. That doesn't make it any less powerful, though. As the book goes on, you want to know what happened to Rose and why everything seems off, and when you do discover it, everything begins to make sense and the pieces connect beautifully. It was truly fascinating.

Best Fantasy Novel

To be honest, this is going to be so incredibly obvious that I'm just going to go ahead and announce the winner.

The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
It was obviously going to be this. Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle series completely took me by surprise when I read the first installment in August 2014, and her writing, characters, and storytelling have all meant the world to me over the past two years. This conclusion was just what I expected and needed from her. It was confusing, packed to the brim, and evocative, but that's what I've come to expect from Stiefvater. It truthfully feels like everyone's story, and all the protagonists live and breathe on the page even if what takes place is anything but ordinary.

Easily the best part of this novel was to see all the various plot points connect and come together in ways I never would have expected. Stiefvater resolves everything but still leaves plenty to the imagination, and it definitely ends the entire series on a decidedly positive note. I would really recommend picking up this series if you haven't already. It may confuse readers at first, but it's easily one of the most complex and enjoyable things I have ever read.

Best LGBT+ Novel

Considering that this year was the year I officially came out as gay (first to my brother, then to my parents, then to some friends, and now to everyone else), LGBT+ literature is still incredibly important to me, especially since the representation actually grew some this year. I would love to see more of it explored (because the best representation doesn't have LGBT+ elements added for the sake of it being diverse; you can tell when it happens, especially by an author's delivery in their writing), but beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully publishing companies take more chances with LGBT+ authors and publish stories featuring their marginalized voices (as they are sometimes viewed, which is unfair).

But why don't we cut to the chase and talk about a debut novel featuring a gay protagonist and romance that was different from everything I've read?

True Letters from a Fictional Life by Kenneth Logan
I feel like this novel has definitely slipped under some people's radars. Maybe it's because of the polarizing reviews that can be caught at a glance on Goodreads, or maybe it's the fact that this has been buried under the buzz of all the other popular and more marketed titles (I've only seen this at a single Barnes & Noble and nowhere else, but it's probably at some other stores; meanwhile, Sarah J. Maas and Victoria Aveyard will haunt me wherever I go). I received an ARC for this in February but didn't read it until a couple of weeks before release, right at the end of the school year.

And I definitely regret it. Despite its super happy cover, True Letters from a Fictional Life isn't the happiest of reads. It tackles the toxic and careless everyday use of homophobia and the struggles of coming out in a world that doesn't look so supportive. However, there's something so true in the way the book is presented that I couldn't put this down. Logan's writing is natural and raw, perfectly capturing the anxiety and fear of a high school junior stuck with confessing his feelings on paper and trying to grapple a world that seems to regard gay people with contempt. There's definitely an adorable romance and some moments where you will inevitably shake your head, but I felt so much love for the cast of characters and James, our protagonist, especially. The dude had it rough, and it was so nice to see that the book ended on a hopeful note.

Best Up and Coming Author

I'm doing away with the Best Comedy Book award from last year in favor of something that's a lot more special. This award presents one of my favorite debut authors of this year who has a great foundation under their feet and seems to only be going up from here.

Riley Redgate
While searching up this image, I found out that Redgate's actual name is the one she uses on her Bandcamp profile, Riognach Robinson (which threw me for a loop), but that's besides the point. What matters is that I haven't been this excited about an author since Amy Zhang and Falling into Place two years ago. Redgate's debut, Seven Ways We Lie, was an ambitious but well-crafted story involving seven different teenagers and their reactions and lives following a school scandal. Each of the seven deadly sins was incorporated smoothly, and Redgate's ability to offer rich characterization to each of her protagonists was impressive.

However, Redgate was able to talk about a variety of issues in a way that was both respectful and insightful. Whether it was the objectification and the treatment of women, a family in poverty, the cracks shown in the people most believed to be perfect, and the intricacies in the labels of the LGBT+ community (there was pansexual rep, which I've never seen in literature), each topic felt right at home and so important to be needed among the pages of a novel for teens. LET THE DISCUSSIONS HAPPEN! There are a lot to be had here.

It's also telling that when I'm reading an ARC of an author's follow-up (Noteworthy, which is due in May 2017) and it's an improvement over their debut, there's a reason to be on the lookout for more material. I can't wait to see what Riley Redgate does next.

Anime

Anime is still a very essential part of who I am, and even though most of the shows I've been watching have been with my brother (much to his annoyance), there have been some wonderful gems that need to be talked about.

Best Male Anime Character

Like last year, the winner of this category is incredibly easy. However, the character this time means a lot more to me in the fact that I've cosplayed as him and can relate to him even more than a hot rocker with a sour attitude most of the time. The latter was simply fun to watch, but the former is even more meaningful because I feel like I've lived him.

Atsushi Nakajima from Bungo Stray Dogs
I don't think I've ever related to a protagonist quite like I have with Atsushi. At the start of the series, he's been kicked out of his orphanage and feeling completely hopeless, However, he ends up becoming part of an agency that's made for people like him, the ones who have powerful abilities that society won't know how to deal with. This doesn't change the fact that his self-esteem is still incredibly low, a result of the abuse he faced at the orphanage and his own hopelessness. It was so painful to see Atsushi's struggles (and that's from someone who has yet to see the second half), but what's even more amazing is his growth.

Once he shows his selflessness and the seriousness he views battles with, his coworkers give him involvement, much to his bewilderment at first. But because of that trust and love, Atsushi is able to grow stronger, give himself the support he needs, and also reaches out his hand to other people who are facing crises. His transformation will continue in the second half, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

On a side note, Yuto Uemura's performance is also phenomenal. Atsushi is his first lead character after Tsukito from Kamigami no Asobi (which is one of the better reverse harem anime shows out there), and the disconnect that came from Tsukito's performance is completely gone. Uemura brings so much emotion from the get-go, whether it's the blubbering embarrassment or the completely badass fighter that gives Atsushi a voice change (which I will never be prepared for). It's awesome to know that his career is only going up from here if his role as Jyugo in Nanbaka is any indication (and it's doing really well in Japan, from the looks of it).

Best Female Anime Character

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be fair if Shirayuki won two years in a row, even though she's absolutely amazing and makes for an incredible female protagonist that can hold her own. This year, I'm going to highlight a girl that was such a breath of fresh air.

Nico Niyama from Kiznaiver
I went into Kiznaiver expecting to enjoy it, and while I did have a lot of fun with the show (and also experienced a lot of pain), Nico was easily one of the most entertaining parts. Despite being introduced as a quirky and eccentric girl who believed in fairies, she turned out to be the beating heart of the group of seven. Her energy and ability to pull everyone together despite their differences was inspiring, but it was also wonderful to see that she was more than just some weird girl who pranced around everywhere. The show took the stereotype she portrayed and broke it well.

Misaki Kuno's acting was additionally spectacular. Having only heard her as Hawk in The Seven Deadly Sins (who was a pig that oinked a lot and was just sassy), seeing her portray a teenage girl was awesome. She had the vivacious energy, the fun spark, and the ability to make Nico not only sound purely cute but also human. It was rewarding, and by the end of the show, I ended up realizing I was going to miss the performance and the character herself.

Best OTP

This isn't a contest this year.

Victor Nikiforov and Yuri Katsuki from Yuri on Ice
I couldn't not include this landmark couple. I've never seen a gay character (a homosexual male, in this case) or a gay couple portrayed in such a positive and respectful light. Usually they're attached to the end of jokes, flamboyant and overly sexual to get a laugh out of the audience. Everyone was surprised when Yuri on Ice took the extra step and actually made the homoerotic subtext text, but I recognized the difference in delivery right away. The way the characters are presented is different, and rather than pretty objects glistening in the distance, the boys are in front of the camera with absolutely no shame (think sexual but with an open scope). They are living and breathing humans, and it is glorious.

The same is true with this couple. From the get-go, Victor and Yuri share cute conversations and intimacy in a way I haven't seen, and I rooted for them to get together just as much as I rooted for Yuri to finally obtain the self-confidence he needed. The ride of watching Yuri jump back into figure skating was matched by the ride of Victor coaching Yuri and seeing their relationship blossom, and I spent the entire ride grinning and spinning around in my chair.

Being gay myself, finally having a gay couple in anime I can look up to is beautiful. People can call it fujoshi or queer bait all they want, but when two guys kiss on live TV despite the kiss itself being censored, it can't get any gayer than that. Also, love is love is love. Knowing that these two love each other and that love can transcend everything is incredible.


Best Opening

There are a few openings this year that were pretty great, but one in particular stuck with me.


The song itself is pretty cool and will definitely remind people of A-ha's "Take On Me", but I adore the visuals here most of all. The flashes of color, the gripping use of the eye, and the bouncing around of all the characters to showcase their personalities were incredible touches. It made a very strong introductory point to a very colorful and enjoyable show, and that's all it needed.

It also made for a fun last single from Boom Boom Satellites, whose lead singer Michiyuki Kawashima passed away this year a few months after the group disbanded. May he rest in peace.

Best Anime Series

This is going to be another incredibly obvious choice, but instead of including one show here, I think there's room to talk about two fantastic shows here.

Kiznaiver
Yuri on Ice
Both Kiznaiver and Yuri on Ice are great shows for similar reasons. Both paint their characters in realistic shades, their personalities being shown in understated ways at the root. Also, both have absolutely breathtaking art and animation, Kiznaiver's sharp and explosive while Yuri on Ice's more delicate and simplistic (but there's also beautiful ice skating animation, and while choppy later on, the effort of the team to animate different routines for everyone still needs to be appreciated).

But there are differences, and each show is phenomenal on its own. While Kiznaiver waves its empathetic flag high after running its protagonists through the emotional shredder and back, highlighting the importance of connection in modern day society, Yuri on Ice brings the thrill of competition and the underdog coming back from the underground to a calm but still tension-filled story. All the characters have magnetic personalities that bring viewers together, and watching each show is almost like witnessing catharsis in anime form. Kiznaiver will rip someone's heart in two, but Yuri on Ice will bring it back together with a smile.

I probably should have brought up One Punch Man, but the two shows above meant a lot more to me throughout the year than the former did (especially since I watched OPM very early on in the year and I guess I forgot about it, whoops!). One Punch Man is still an incredibly enjoyable and ridiculous comedy anime with awesome action scenes and gorgeous animation, and Genos will forever be my precious son. It's highly recommended from me, and I did a review with a good friend of mine, so there you go.

Music

This year brought my love for Foxes to an all time high, a delay for an anticipated album that broke my heart, and the return of some 2014 debuts alongside follow-ups from artists I enjoy. In my world, music was awesome, so it's time to pull those highlights from the dark.

Best New Artist

Like last year, our singer/songwriter winner is full of magic and other-worldliness, something that makes music incredibly fun. However, there's a different direction that's taken here than what Ryn Weaver did. Weaver's music was bright, complete with the glimmering and popping polishes of modern pop, and although this artist definitely has that at points, her sound goes in a much different direction. Her stories are darker.

AURORA
Although she's 20 years old, Aurora Aksnes (known by her first name) feels timeless, a nurtured and ethereal soul trapped in the body of a young girl. Born and raised in Norway but speaking both fluent Norwegian and English, a song of hers called "Puppet" was released quietly in 2012 before "Awakening" and "Under Stars" followed in 2014, the last being her debut single under a major record label. I discovered her through a Spotify playlist and was immediately intrigued, and soon "Awakening" and "Under Stars" went under regular rotation for me. 2015 brought more music and an EP, and 2016 gave us her debut album, All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend.

All My Demons Greeting Me as a Friend was a fascinating listen. Over pounding percussion, alternative-leaning production, and haunting vocals, AURORA brought tales of self-acceptance and allowing peace to be made with the darkness to life. Whether it was someone escaping for something more yet needing home on "Runaway", the complete break after trying to wholeheartedly give to love on "I Went Too Far" (my personal favorite from the album), the twisted narrative of how far we're willing to go to protect loved ones on "Murder Song (5, 4, 3, 2, 1)", or the realization to become a hero on "Conqueror", everything is sparse but rich in detail all at once, and listening to her music feels like entering a magical world where people are unafraid to dream and find solitude among madness. Each listen is enchanting, intricate details of lyrics and intense visualizations drawn upon every time, and there's no doubt that this record took me on the greatest adventure this year.

Also, this documentary of her done through The FADER and YouTube Music is spectacular and pretty much shows why I like her so much.



Best Revisited Album

This record threw me for a surprising loop, and after listening to it several times, I have immensely grown to it and can now say that this artist is another one of my favorites.

Light Up the Dark by Gabrielle Aplin
This second major label project from Aplin shows a transformation in sound. Rather than the stripped-back and acoustic ballads that made up English Rain, Light Up the Dark definitely feels like it stepped out of the 90's. The grunge influences from the electric guitars and fuzzy percussion make this record a rollicking good time from start to finish. However, that crystalline quality of Aplin's voice and lyrics still carries through this album and makes it undoubtedly hers.

Lyrically, this record explores the darker side of relationships, most notably the hollowness. "Skeleton" and "Sweet Nothing" showcase this perfectly, both with pulses that run fast but hide the bitterness. However, there's still hope to be found. Whether it be in the title track or the angry but begrudged resignation of falling in love again on "What Did You Do?", Aplin deftly weaves tales that hit right where it hurts and allow plenty of contemplation. Maybe you'll be able to connect them into your own life.

Best Music Video

"Shelter" by Porter Robinson and Madeon

I remember watching this in the middle of Academic Focus Time at my school and wanting to bawl like a baby. This production is something remarkable, a team-up with Porter Robinson, A-1 Pictures, and Crunchyroll to produce a music video for Robinson's collaboration with Madeon called "Shelter". It follows a 17-year-old girl stuck in a world that she creates with a handy drawing pad and pen, but she can't help but feel lonely. Her memories of the past may not be far off, though, as she's about to discover why she's in this world in the first place.

Not only is this the best animation A-1 has worked on in a while (as their budget has seemed to be falling, particularly this year with Qualidea Code, B-Project, and Uta no Prince Sama's fourth season), and not only is everything gorgeous (story, characters, and the song), but there's inspiration to be found in this project. Every time I hear that gorgeous intro, I think about all the things that I'm capable of doing, and I need to thank this video for giving me that. Keep on marching through the present, clutch onto your memories of the past, and head towards the future,

Best Song

I'm just going to keep on being more and more obvious. Sorry. But when a song gets leaked in January and officially comes out in February and immediately pulls you in, you just know there's something special about it. That's why I kept coming back to this throughout the year and played it over and over and over again.


"Cruel" by Foxes (the music video has some missing parts, so I also included the unedited song)

My obsession with this track was completely out of control. It was my most streamed song on Spotify, for starters. I also listened to it a total of 37 times on iTunes after I imported the CD. I even popped this song up on a whim on YouTube to listen to it and sing along at random intervals (making my bed, after showering), added it to my Songs document, and recited the lines "Baby, you're so cruel, you're so cruel" when it wasn't necessary.

In my defense, can you blame me? "Cruel" is easily one of the best toxic relationship songs I've ever listened to. The lyrics are incredibly sad, but there's something interestingly ironic about them against a popping beat that makes them that much more emotional. Foxes' voice is once again amazing, and the whole environment just pulls you in and makes you want to dance and snap along to the trap snare. Heck, the music video is Foxes running around a house and wreaking havoc, so you know there's something a little uplifting about the track. That's why you can crank up the volume and just bust a move.

It's a shame this didn't make an impact in the US, though. If her label had marketed this song more, this could have easily crossed over and smashed on the radio here. When you're using the same instrumentation as the trap artists/rappers who blend tropical influences into their music, you'd fit right at home and stand out a lot since you're pretty much amazing and can do something different (I swear, all the big trap anthems sound the same: dead and not something I would dance to at a party).

I also still kind of want to film a video for this in honor of All I Need's first anniversary, but we'll have to see if I get the courage to do so. I have a feeling using a copyrighted song and showing clips from DRAMAtical Murder's OVA on the TV would get me in trouble and terrify pretty much everyone (don't search up the OVA unless you're looking for nightmare fuel and something bloody, sadistic, and very, very sick).

You've been warned.

Best Album

At one point, Foxes' All I Need was easily going to snatch the trophy from everyone else's hands. I had been hyping up the record like crazy, and even though a lot was released by the time February 5th rolled around, I had so much fun listening to the tracks and having them find a place to nestle in my heart.

But then another album came around and ran away with the Best Album title.

Beautiful Lies by Birdy
Where to even begin with this album? I said a lot about it in my review, so I don't know if it would be good to restate everything here. However, what I will say is that this is one of the most relatable records I've listened to. Foxes' All I Need may have been a fantastic album exploring a break-up, but Beautiful Lies connected to more pieces of my life than I expected. There wasn't just romantic love to unpack; there was familial love, growing up, and the painful avoidance of reaching that maturity and wanting to remain in blissful ignorance forever. Over 14 tracks, Birdy illustrated all of that with her trademark piano, her signature delicate voice that reached some wonderful new heights, and instrumentation that varied from simplistic ballad to upbeat anthem (which was completely unexpected). Birdy may have started her career on a high note at 14, but these six years have given her so much growth and wisdom, and now she's ready to show us what she's capable of. I'm really excited to see where her path goes.

And that does it for 2016! Hopefully 2017 will be a less toxic but glorious year, one where we can bury ourselves in caves of books, anime, and music and just be happy. I'm planning on making some new touches to this blog that I think will be needed, including some actual pages and more of a website look and feel. I'll also try and post more, as this will be my tenth post over the course of 12 months unlike 14 posts in five months last year, but since I'll be novel writing most of the time, juggling a part-time job and homework from school, and just living my life, we'll have to wait and see. I'll make sure to write some more personal posts and update with greater frequency. 2017 is The Year of the Writer.

Until next time and next year! See you all in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment