Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Best of 2017 and Goodbye to The Writings of Luke Reynolds

2017 was a very busy year for me. While definitely better than last year, there were still moments of utter despair and sadness that wracked our whole world. Despite that, I became involved in so many great things: my school newspaper, show choir, choir, and staff at anime club. I read through my first full-length novel and am working on revising it so I can query agents (I wanted to do that this year, but I became too busy). I had a solo at a spring theatre production, another great time at a local anime convention (and even one out of state), and read so much and watched a lot of good things and I honestly couldn't ask for anything more.

But at the same time, I realized I need to close an era of my life: this blog. While I am going to miss it, I'm not as active as I once was, and I want to move on to something that's not only professional but manageable. This is, but I guess I'm just not as interested or invested as I once was. Unfortunate, but understandable (at least I hope). But before I leave for real, I wanted to do one last Best of list because I love recapping all the wonderful things in the media I consume.

Reading

Best Realistic Fiction Novel

I'm stuck between two titles for this, but I'm going to go with a middle grade novel again just like last year because I was surprised by how much this one touched me.

Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson

Be prepared: this will make you cry and laugh simultaneously so many times. When I reviewed this, I called it "one of the greatest novels of all time," and I meant it. Anderson's tale of three boys seeing their teacher one last time before she moves away for stronger cancer treatment is full of shenanigans, friendship, and heartfelt and tender moments unparalleled in a lot of other books I read.

Best Science Fiction Novel Best Thriller

Science fiction's kind of officially dead in the YA world, isn't it? Besides, I didn't read a lot of science fiction this year, so instead, let's highlight a very unpopular opinion.

This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis

Oops.


I'm part of the 5% that actually liked this book. 95% didn't get it and absolutely despised it. Yes, McGinnis made this story about a perfectionist believing she absorbed her twin in the womb and had her heart absolutely implausible, but for me it worked. McGinnis has a knack for suspenseful writing, explosive sexual chemistry when the couple's interesting, and horrifying twists and turns that kept me glued to the page. It definitely stood out from the rest of YA thrillers, and that was appreciated. It wasn't afraid to get gross.

Best Fantasy Novel

A Million Junes by Emily Henry

This was one of the biggest surprises of the year. Emily Henry's second novel is an absolutely magical retelling of Romeo and Juliet without the dying and with tons more magic and sass. I also LOVED the main ship in this (June and Saul were adorable) and spent the last big chunk of it on a coffee ice cream high and #lovinglife. Henry's writing also delicately crossed the line of purple prose and made it work. I don't want to give too much away; you'll need to read it for yourselves.

Best LGBT+ Novel

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera

Adam Silvera released two novels this year. The second, They Both Die at the End, could have constituted a science fiction pick, but if I'm being honest, it was weaker than this arguably stronger one.

What I love about Silvera is his ability to sucker punch his readers until they can't help but come close to tears. History Is All You Left Me is a sad and heartbreaking recollection of grief, a toxic relationship, and regret, but it's one I'm thankful for traveling on. Griffin was an unlikable protagonist but one that also struggled under the weight of his sadness for his dead ex-boyfriend. It was understandable and relatable. I also found every character interesting and it had one of my favorite scenes of any book I read this year. Win-win.


Best Up and Coming Author

Yaa Gyasi


I loved the family saga of her debut novel Homegoing and I hope a richly-written follow-up is coming because Yaa Gyasi is excellent.

Anime

Best Male Anime Character

Kai von Glanzreich from The Royal Tutor

Protect the cute boys who love fluffy things and are just the sweetest things in the world but no one understands them because they don't talk a lot and they have a sharp glance.

Best Female Anime Character

Yui Komori from Diabolik Lovers

Just kidding!

Kohana Aigasaki from Magic-kyun Renaissance

Have an actually strong female protagonist in an actually fantastic reverse harem anime.

Best OTP

Kohana x Everyone in Magic-kyun Renaissance

Everyone's worthy of her love. Gosh darn.

Best Opening

"Reason Living" by SCREEN mode

This is so freaking edgy and angsty and I love it. Atsushi looking up at the rain never fails to slay me.

Best Anime Series

Magic-kyun Renaissance

Most reverse harem anime series I've watched haven't turned out too well. Uta no Prince Sama dwindled in quality over its series run, B-Project became soap opera trash, and Diabolik Lovers is...well, Diabolik Lovers. I'm happy this joins another smartly-written reverse harem, Kamigami no Asobi. But I managed to enjoy this more.

It's not anything life-changing or new, but I was impressed by how strong of a character Kohana started out as. She wasn't willing to take Teika's BS, which was greatly appreciated. I also liked all the guys, even if they filled tropes we've seen countless times. But here, they felt refreshing and engaging. And sometimes you just need a super fun show to make you smile and not think too hard. This was that show.

Also, protect best boy Kanato Hibiki at all costs.


Music

Best New Artist

Dua Lipa

Dua Lipa's debut album, despite being long delayed, was worth the wait and was easily the best pop record of 2017. So many addictive bops, including one that'll appear later on the list.

Best Revisited Album

Insomniatic by Aly & AJ

Thank goodness I rediscovered Aly & AJ this year. The Michalka sisters hit it big on Disney Channel in the mid-2000's. Aly grew popular thanks to Phil of the Future, and AJ came along for the ride with her. Not only did they release new music this year and have had pretty successful careers, this 2007 release still holds up remarkably well. A catchy array of pop-rock smashes are pretty hard to come by nowadays, and Aly & AJ kept it fresh and fun with all kinds of love songs that made my inner seven-year-old scream. Never forget "Potential Breakup Song."

Best Music Video

"New Rules" by Dua Lipa

This was just a blast. I watched it over and over again. The colors, Dua Lipa's beautiful voice, her back-up dancers (including one that looks like America's Next Top Model alum Kayla Ferrel), and those fierce flamingos came together and made the whole thing pop for this summer bop.

Best Song

"Praying" by Kesha

Kesha packed an absolutely powerful punch. Long gone is the auto-tuned party girl I jammed out to at ten. Here, Kesha has been through some struggles but has come through resilient and stronger than ever. This not only brought me close to tears on first listen, but truly impressed me with that whistle note (my jaw dropped) and her talent that was there all along. Well done, Kesha. I'm so happy to see you again and "Rainbow" was truthfully fun.

Best Album

Melodrama by Lorde

Lorde's Pure Heroine has grown on me as a record since I first listened to it at thirteen. It's easily one of the most relatable alternative pop albums of all time. This is no different. Not only is it incredibly cohesive, but Lorde's strengths as a performer and songwriter have only grown. Everything screams in violent color and melodrama as Lorde recovers from a fading relationship and decides to live life a little harder. There are parties, heartbreaking ballads, and reminiscing all wrapped up in glorious pop thanks to main producer Jack Antonoff. It was the best summer record anyone could have asked for. Well done, Lorde.

And that's it. Thank you all so much for following me on this journey. The Writings of Luke Reynolds will still be here like a time capsule, and I'll check back from time to time and see what's happening.

Until next time, thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment